February, 21 2019
Spencer, North Carolina
Will it take 20 years to fix the water/drain problems?
Yes it has been wet. Drive down Pickett Street. They
are in the 21st. Century. With departmental spending
(A) The following enumerated and described conditions are hereby found, deemed and declared to constitute a detriment, danger and hazard to the health, safety, morals and general welfare of the inhabitants of the town and are found, deemed and declared to be public nuisances wherever the same may exist, and the creation, maintenance or failure to abate the nuisances is hereby declared unlawful:
(1) Any condition which is a breeding ground or harbor for mosquitoes or a breeding ground or harbor for rats or other pests;
(2) A place of heavy growth of weeds or other noxious vegetation over eight inches in height. This shall include the area between a property line and the edge of pavement of any abutting street, and to the centerline of any abutting alleyway;
(3) An open place of collection of water where insects tend to breed;
(4) An open place of concentration of combustible items such as mattresses, boxes, paper, automobile tires and tubes, garbage, trash, refuse, brush, old clothes, rags or any other combustible materials or objects of a like nature;
(5) An open place of collection of garbage, food waste, animal waste or any other rotten or putrescible matter of any kind;
(6) Any furniture, appliance or other metal product of any kind or nature openly kept, which has jagged edges of metal or glass, or areas of confinement;
(7) Any improper or inadequate drainage on private property which causes flooding, interferes with the use of or endangers in any way the streets, sidewalks, parks or other town-owned property of any kind, provided that the notices required and powers conferred by this chapter by and on the enforcement officer in abating the nuisances defined by this division shall be given and exercised by the Director of Public Works;
(8) Any condition which blocks, hinders or obstructs, in any way, the natural flow of branches, streams, creeks, surface waters, ditches or drains, to the extent that lots or properties are not free from standing water.
(B) Any other condition not enumerated in division (A) above may be specifically declared to be a danger to the public health, safety, morals and general welfare of the inhabitants of the town and a public nuisance by the Board, which proceeding may be initiated by the enforcement officer before the Board after giving written notice in conformity with § 93.23, which notice will state the condition existing, the location and that the Board of Aldermen will be requested on a day certain, after a public hearing at which the person notified may appear and be heard, to declare that the conditions existing constitute a danger to the public health, safety, morals and general welfare of the inhabitants of the town and a public nuisance and that, after the declaration by the Board in the form of an ordinance, the condition will be abated as provided for in § 93.24, provided that no appeal shall lie from a proceeding initiated by the enforcement officer before the Board as provided in § 93.24.
(`94 Code, § 8-2) (Ord. passed 4-8-82; Am. Ord. passed 2-9-93; Am. Ord. 04-07, passed 9-14-04) Penalty, see § 93.99
Abatement of public health nuisance, see G.S. § 160A-193
This is the
official response from the
My opinion: The Town of Spencer MUST decide immediately and come to an agreement as to how the town plans to enforce or remedy WHO upkeeps all bushes/trees/shrubs and grass on street rights of way. Decide who is responsible for removing trees and stumps. The photos above show drainage issues that have existed for decades. Road rights of way where cars are allowed to drive on should be stoned and kept up by the town. Areas that property owners are driving onto the grass they should be warned. Our town deserves better than the unsightly areas shown above. There should be NO gray areas.
The more we knee jerk the
more we stay the same